Summertime Strawberry Mojito
Recipe by Elisabeth Luther and Mélany Otis
Give a twist to the traditional mojito by adding fresh local strawberries and wild mint to this refreshing summertime drink. It is the perfect drink for a summer gathering. You can also make an alcohol-free variation by omitting the rum and you have this lovely strawberry mint punch for everyone. Delicious!
Yield: 4 drinks
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6-8 whole strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 6-7 sprigs mint leaves
- 120 ml white rum or vodka (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- Sparkling water or club soda
- Ice cubes
- In a small pot, make a simple syrup by combining sugar and water together. Bring to a rolling boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- In four glasses, place 1 to 2 sliced strawberries in each glass, add 4-5 mint leaves on top and pour ¼ of the lime juice.
- Using a pestle or the back of a spoon, gently mull the strawberries, mint and lime juice together until the strawberries and mint become soft.
- At this time, put approximately 2 tablespoons of the cooled simple syrup in each glass, add 30 ml of white rum or vodka, ice cubes, and then fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water or club soda.
- Garnish glasses with more mint leaves and strawberry slices, to taste.
Elisabeth Luther is a food photographer and the author of the popular food blog Homemade Hearts.
Mélany Otis is the owner of the award-winning catering company: Fine Food Factory.